Tuesday, January 4 - 0 comments

Romance: Walter James Redfern Turner

Romance
By: Walter James Redfern Turner

      hen I was but thirteen or so
      I went into a golden land,
      Chimborazo, Cotopaxi
      Took me by the hand.
       
      My father died, my brother too,
      They passed like fleeting dreams,
      I stood where Popocatapetl
      In the sunlight gleams.
       
      I dimly heard the master's voice
      And boys far-off at play,
      Chimborazo, Cotopaxi
      Had stolen me away.
       
      I walked in a great golden dream
      To and fro from school--
      Shining Popocatapetl
      The dusty streets did rule.
       
      I walked home with a gold dark boy,
      And never a word I'd say,
      Chimborazo, Cotopaxi
      Had taken my speech away:
       
      I gazed entranced upon his face
      Fairer than any flower--
      O shining Popocatapetl
      It was thy magic hour:
       
      The houses, people, traffic seemed
      Thin fading dreams by day,
      Chimborazo, Cotopaxi
      They had stolen my soul away!

0 comments: